Health Professionals and Support Services Award [MA000027]
Who the Health Services Award covers
The Health Services Award covers:
- employers in the health industry and their employees who are in a classification in the award
- employers engaging a health professional employee.
The health industry includes the delivery of:
- health care
- medical services
- pathology services
- dental services.
Examples of support service employees covered by the Health Services Award include:
- general and administrative services employees such as:
- medical receptionists
- laundry hands
- security officers
- food services employees, such as cooks
- technical and clinical employees such as:
- dental assistants
- dental technicians (if it is a health business such as a dental clinic or orthodontic practice)
- laboratory assistants
- pathology collectors.
Examples of health professional employees covered by the Health Services Award include:
- audiologists and speech pathologists
- chiropractors and physiotherapists
- occupational therapists (unless their employer is covered by the Educational Services (Schools) General Staff Award 2020)
- counsellors and psychologists
- dental hygienists
- dental therapists
- radiographers, sonographers and radiation therapists
The Health Services Award also covers labour hire businesses and their employees who are placed with an organisation in the health industry or working as health professionals.
Check the award for full information on who is covered and the classification descriptions.
Who the Health Services Award doesn't cover
The following employers and employees are not covered by the Health Services Award:
- nurses who are covered by the Nurses Award
- paramedics who are covered by the Ambulance Award
- medical professionals such as doctors, GPs and surgeons.
Employers and employees in the social and community services industry should carefully assess whether a role involves the employment of a health professional employee who would be covered by the Health Services Award.
Check the award for full information on coverage and classifications.
Not the right award?
If your industry or work isn’t covered above, you can also check:
- Clerks Award summary
- Medical Practitioners Award summary
- Nurses Award summary
- Social and Community Services Award summary
- Ambulance Award summary
- Aged Care Award summary
- Aboriginal Health Award summary.
Find your pay and entitlements
- Calculate pay
- Calculate leave
- Calculate notice and redundancy
- Download the Health Professionals and Support Services Award [MA000027] Pay Guide (DOCX) | (PDF) for a summary of pay rates, all allowances and common penalties in this award.
Pay and entitlements less than the award?
Employees must be paid at least award pay rates and entitlements.
If your pay rates are less than the award, go to Help resolving workplace issues to follow our step by step guide on how you can fix it.
Need help finding the answers to other questions about the workplace? Get help.
Looking for another award?
If you’re looking for award coverage for multiple job roles, start our Find my Award tool again.