All employees working in Australia have the same workplace rights, including employees who are deaf or hard of hearing. We can help you understand your rights and responsibilities at work.

National Employment Standards video series

The National Employment Standards (NES) are the minimum employment entitlements that all employees are entitled to. An award, employment contract or enterprise agreement can give more but never less than the NES.

To help you understand your minimum entitlements, we have a series of videos with an Auslan interpreter.

Employment information statements


Employers have to give every new employee a copy of the Fair Work Information Statement before, or as soon as possible after, they start their new job.

Employers also have to give every new casual employee a copy of the Casual Employment Information Statement at the same time.

For more information, see the Fair Work Information Statement page and the Casual Employment Information Statement page.

Maximum weekly hours

The NES sets the maximum weekly hours for employees, as well as when an employee can refuse to work more hours.

For more information, see our Maximum weekly hours fact sheet.

Offers and requests to convert from casual to permanent employment


The NES provides casual employees with a pathway to become a permanent employee. This is also known as casual conversion.

For more information, see Becoming a permanent employee.

Annual leave


Annual leave is an entitlement that all employees (except for casuals) can use to take paid time away from work.

For more information, see Annual leave.

Personal and carer’s leave


Full-time and part-time employees are entitled to take paid time off work using personal leave, also known as sick and carer’s leave.

An employee can use personal leave when they are sick or injured. They can also use it to care for an immediate family or household member who is sick or injured or has an unexpected emergency.

Casuals can take some unpaid carer’s leave, while full-time and part-time employees can take some unpaid carer’s leave if they run out of paid leave.

For more information, see Personal and carer’s leave.

Compassionate leave


Compassionate leave, also known as bereavement leave, allows an employee to take leave if a family or household member dies or contracts or develops a life-threatening illness.

An employee can also take compassionate leave if they or their current spouse or de facto partner have a miscarriage or if a baby in their immediate family or household is stillborn.

For more information, see Compassionate and bereavement leave.

Family and domestic violence leave


Employees experiencing family and domestic violence can access 10 days of paid family and domestic violence leave each year.

Full-time, part-time and casual employees can access the full amount of paid family and domestic violence leave from the day they start work.

For more information, see Family and domestic violence leave.

Community service leave


Employees, including casual employees, can take community service leave for jury duty or to volunteer for emergency management activities.

For more information, see Community service leave.

Public holidays


Every year, all employees are entitled to days off work for public holidays.

For more information, see Public holidays.

Notice of termination and redundancy


Employers must give most full-time and part-time employees notice in writing, or payment in lieu of notice, when ending their employment. An employee’s minimum notice period is based on their length of service. There are rules about what needs to be included in an employee's final pay.

For more information, see Notice and final pay.


Redundancy is when a business no longer needs an employee’s role to be done by anyone. When an employer makes an employee’s job redundant, they may need to pay the employee severance or redundancy pay.

For more information, see Redundancy.

Tools and resources

Related information

Have a workplace problem?

Problems can happen in any workplace. If you have a workplace problem, we have tools and information to help you resolve it.

Check out our Fixing a workplace problem section for practical information about:

  • working out if there is a problem
  • speaking with your employer or employee about fixing the problem
  • getting help from us if you can't fix the problem.

Help for small business