Our role and purpose
Our purpose is to promote harmonious, productive, cooperative and compliant workplace relations in Australia.
On this page:
Our functions outline the responsibilities we have as set by the Fair Work Act 2009 to achieve our purpose:
- provide education, assistance, advice and guidance to employers, employees, outworkers, outworker entities and organisations
- promote and monitor compliance with workplace laws
- inquire into and investigate breaches of the Fair Work Act
- take appropriate enforcement action
- perform our statutory functions efficiently, effectively, economically and ethically.
Download a copy of the FWO Purpose.
We have a number of policies, guides and plans which support how we work towards achieving our purpose and functions:
- Our priorities outline the key industries and issues we will focus on in the next financial year
- Our Compliance and Enforcement Policy summarises the services we offer to support compliance with workplace laws
- Our Corporate Plan maps our strategic direction.
Additional supporting policies that inform the work we do are available on Our policies page.