Our role and purpose
Important information for the building and construction industry
From 10 November 2022, there are changes to who regulates the commercial building and construction industry. Find out more at Important information for the building and construction industry.
Our purpose is to promote harmonious, productive, cooperative and compliant workplace relations in Australia.
On this page:
Our functions outline the responsibilities we have as set by the Fair Work Act 2009 to achieve our purpose:
- provide education, assistance, advice and guidance to employers, employees, outworkers, outworker entities and organisations
- promote and monitor compliance with workplace laws
- inquire into and investigate breaches of the Fair Work Act
- take appropriate enforcement action
- perform our statutory functions efficiently, effectively, economically and ethically.
Download a copy of the FWO Purpose.
We have a number of policies, guides and plans which support how we work towards achieving our purpose and functions:
- Our priorities outline the key industries and issues we will focus on in the next financial year
- Our Compliance and Enforcement Policy summarises the services we offer to support compliance with workplace laws
- Our Corporate Plan maps our strategic direction.
- Ministerial Statement of Expectations 2021
- Regulator Statement of Intent 2021
Additional supporting policies that inform the work we do are available on Our policies page.