Aged Care Award [MA000018]
Who the Aged Care Award covers
The Aged Care Award covers employers in the aged care industry and their employees who fit within the classifications of the award.
The aged care industry means providing accommodation and care services for aged persons in:
- nursing homes
- aged care independent living units
- aged care services apartments
- garden settlements
- retirement villages
- any other residential accommodation facility.
Examples of employees covered by the Aged Care Award include:
- personal care workers
- laundry hands
- food services employees including cooks
- receptionists and administrative staff
- grounds maintenance employees including gardeners and handymen
- activity coordinators (unqualified)
The Aged Care Award also covers labour hire businesses and their employees who are placed with an organisation in the aged care industry.
Check the award for full information on who is covered and the classification descriptions.
Source reference: Aged Care Award [MA000018] in clauses 3, 4 and schedule B.
Who the Aged Care Award doesn’t cover
The following are examples of employers and employees that are not covered by the Aged Care Award:
- any health professionals such as:
- occupational therapists
- rehabilitation centres not specifically dealing with aged persons
- home care services provided to aged persons.
Check the award for full information on coverage and classifications.
Source reference: Aged Care Award [MA000018] in clauses 3, 4 and schedule B
Not the right award?
If your industry or work isn’t covered above, you can also check:
- Social and Community Services Industry Award summary
- Nurses Award summary
- Health Services Award summary.
Find your pay and entitlements
- Calculate pay
- Calculate leave
- Calculate notice and redundancy
- Download the Aged Care Award [MA000018] Pay Guide (DOCX) (PDF) for a summary of pay rates, all allowances and common penalties in this award.
Pay and entitlements less than the award?
Employees must be paid at least award pay rates and entitlements.
If your pay rates are less than the award, go to Help resolving workplace issues to follow our step by step guide on how you can fix it.
Need help finding the answers to other questions about the workplace? Get help.
Looking for another award?
If you’re looking for award coverage for multiple job roles, start our Find my Award tool again.