It is important that both franchisees and franchisors are aware of their obligations to employees. We’re here to help you understand your obligations and give you information and resources you can use to get it right.
On this page:
Franchisors can be held legally responsible if their franchisees don’t follow workplace laws.
Franchisors should help their franchisees understand and meet their responsibilities under workplace laws. By doing so, franchisors can minimise their legal and reputational risks.
Visit our Franchisors page for information about when franchisors can be held responsible and tips on how to enable, support and monitor compliance.
Franchisees that employ staff have the same workplace responsibilities as other employers.
To help you meet your responsibilities, you can:
- find the minimum rate of pay to pay your employees using our Pay and Conditions Tool
- register for My account to get tailored information based on your industry and save your favourite pages and pay calculator results
- use Find my award to find the right award that your employees are covered by
- complete our free online short course, Franchisee workplace essentials
- visit our Small business page for helpful advice and resources for starting and running a small business
- download our templates to help you meet your obligations, including pay slip and record-keeping templates
- download our free Fair Work Handbook.
We’ve developed some short videos in your language to help you with your business. Topics covered include:
- How to avoid common mistakes made by franchisees
- Getting workplace laws right in your franchise
- How the Fair Work Ombudsman can help you and your franchise
- National Employment Standards
- Pay slips and record-keeping for franchisees.
Watch the videos in your language:
Two of the most popular videos in English are below.
If you’re operating a franchise in Australia, it’s important you follow Australian workplace laws, regardless of where the franchise originated.
Find out how the Fair Work Ombudsman can help, with a range of free resources and tools to make sure you get it right from the start.