Resources, tools and tips
We’ve put together our top resources, tools and tips for fixing workplace problems. We also have resources and tools available in other languages.
On this page:
Below are links to the most popular topics viewed on our website, to help you get the answers you need quickly:
- Awards - what is an award, who do they cover and how to find the right one.
- Minimum wages - how to find the right minimum wage and stay up-to-date with changes.
- Notice and final pay - how much notice needs to be given and how to calculate final pay.
- Coronavirus and Australian workplace laws - what you need to know about workplace rights and obligations during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Get help – use our guided tool to help you find the information you need.
There are some workplace problems that we know happen regularly. We have step-by-step guides for addressing these in our Common workplace problems section.
Our Pay and Conditions Tool is made up of 4 calculators that help you calculate:
- pay rates including penalty rates and allowances
- shift calculations - a sum of pay rates for up to 4 weeks of shifts
- annual and sick leave entitlements
- notice and redundancy entitlements.
Our Language help page links to resources and information translated in over 30 different languages. You can read information and watch videos in your language on these pages.
Read more about Workplace help in other languages.
You can translate most of our website and online resources with our built-in website translator. It translates into over 30 different languages and is quick and simple to use.
How to use the translator:
- In the top right-hand corner of the webpage, click on the language drop-down box.
- Select your preferred language from the menu.
- In the pop up box, choose to:
- translate the whole website into another language (selecting this option will mean other pages will automatically translate)
- translate the page you're on only.
Sometimes you need to write a letter or email to help sort out a workplace problem. Finding the right words can be difficult. Our templates can help to get you started.
The most relevant templates for fixing workplace problems are:
Our templates cover a range of topics. They can all can be tailored to suit your situation. Some templates are interactive. They use our template tool which will ask you simple questions and use your answers to tailor a letter for you. You will be able to save and edit your letter at the end. Other templates are downloadable documents you can edit.
For a full list, visit our Templates page.
We have several fact sheets about the minimum rights, responsibilities and entitlements under Australian workplace laws, as well as information about us.
Our fact sheets can be viewed online or downloaded.
For a full list of our fact sheets, visit our Fact sheets page.
We have best practice guides to help employers and employees with a range of workplace issues. The most relevant best practice guides for fixing workplace problems are:
By adopting best practice initiatives, employers and employees can achieve happier, fairer and more productive workplaces. Each guide has a checklist to help achieve best practice. The guides can be viewed online or downloaded.
For a full list of our best practice guides, visit our Best practice guides page.
Our online courses will teach you skills and strategies to help you at work. The most relevant courses for fixing workplace problems are:
- Difficult conversations in the workplace – managers course
- Difficult conversations in the workplace – employee course.
The courses are free and interactive. They take around 20 minutes to complete. You can access them from your computer and most tablets and mobiles.
These courses help managers and employees gain the skills and confidence to discuss workplace issues when they arise. They include:
- information about how to handle a difficult conversation
- tips to help you prepare, manage your emotions and reach a positive outcome
- interactive scenarios to help you practice your conversation skills
- downloadable resources and links to further information.
For a full list of our award-winning online courses for employers, employees and business advisers, visit our Online learning centre.
Our educational videos help employees and employers understand workplace laws and their rights and obligations.
For a full list of our videos, see the Fair Work Ombudsman YouTube channel .
Our Record My Hours app makes it quick and easy for employees to record and store the hours they work, plus other information about their employment. We recommend employees manually record their hours (for example in a diary) - we’ve made it easier to do this.
Read more about the Record My Hours app.
Our Library has a range of knowledge articles with advice and information on more complicated and technical workplace relations issues. These articles also have answers to commonly contentious award-related issues.
Our Library is the same technical resource that our Infoline advisers use when you call us – you can access the information directly yourself.
Visit our Library to see if one of our articles answers your question.
If you have a complex enquiry or need to clarify information you have found on the website, you can Contact us. When you contact us, one of our advisers will be able to provide you with specific information that relates to your situation.