Resolving workplace disputes

Do you need help resolving an issue or problem at work?  Here are some steps you can follow to resolve workplace issues:

Step 1: Identify the issue

If you think you are not getting the right pay or entitlements at work, it’s important to work out exactly what the issue might be. It might help to talk to a colleague or a friend you trust to identify what the problem is, and whether you think it needs to be fixed.

It’s important to take action as soon as possible so that the problem doesn’t escalate. 

Step 2: Check the law

An easy way to fix issues at work is to make sure you’re following the law.

Check the laws about:

You can also use our online Pay Calculator to work out minimum pay rates, penalties and allowances that have to be paid.

Step 3: Resolving the issue in the workplace

Once you have identified the issue and checked the law, arrange a time to speak with your employer or employee about the issue. You should prepare for this discussion by knowing the issues you want to talk about. It is also helpful to prepare some suggestions for ways to resolve the issue.

There are a number of ways to resolve a workplace issue, including:

  • giving an explanation about workplace entitlements
  • payment of entitlements owed
  • updating relevant policies and procedures
  • providing training.

If you have tried talking to your employer or employee, you may want to raise your issues in writing. Remember to:

  • clearly outline the issue
  • if money is owing, specify the amount and what it’s for
  • refer to previous discussions that you’ve had
  • include supporting information, such as pay slips or print outs of information on this website or from other sources
  • give your employer or employee an amount of time to respond
  • keep a copy of the letter or email.

Step 4: Ask us for help

If you’ve followed the steps above and you still haven’t been able to resolve the issue, we may be able to help by giving information and advice to help both the employee and employer understand their workplace entitlements.

To ask us for help, make an online enquiry through My account and tell us about your workplace issue.

If you already have an account with us, go to the enquiries form now.

Don’t have an account with us yet? Register for My account, then click on ‘My enquiries’ to submit your enquiry.

If you need an interpreter, you can call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450 to set up a time to talk with us in your language for free. Tell the operator the language you speak and ask them to call us on 131 394.

You might also be interested in