Pacific Australia Labour Mobility scheme

The Pacific Australia Labour Mobility (PALM) scheme supports eligible Australian businesses in hiring workers from Pacific-island countries and Timor-Leste when there are not enough local workers available.

Employees under the PALM scheme have the same workplace rights as other employees in Australia.

Pacific Australia Labour Mobility overview

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) manages the PALM scheme with the support of DFAT’s provider, the Pacific Labour Facility (PLF).

The PALM scheme has 2 cohorts of workers, seasonal workers and longer-term workers.

The Seasonal Worker Programme and the Pacific Labour Scheme continue to operate as 2 separate programs under the PALM scheme.

For more information visit DFAT’s Pacific Australia Labour Mobility (PALM) scheme external-icon.png website.

Rights and entitlements for PALM participants

Employees under the PALM scheme have the same rights at work as other employees in Australia.

Employees have minimum entitlements under the National Employment Standards. They may also have entitlements from an award or an agreement.

Watch our short video for information about working in Australia.

Employment information statements

Employers have to give every new employee a copy of the Fair Work Information Statement (FWIS) before, or as soon as possible after, starting a job.

Employers also have to give every new casual employee a copy of the Casual Employment Information Statement (CEIS) at the same time.

These documents give new employees information about their rights at work.

As well as being available in English, we have translated the FWIS and CEIS into multiple languages to help you understand your workplace rights and obligations in Australia. See:


There are minimum pay rates that employees have to be paid, based on the work they do.

Use our Pay and Conditions Tool to find minimum pay rates.

For workers in the horticulture industry, you can also find information on our Horticulture showcase about Pay & piece rates.

Holiday and sick pay

Employees can take leave for many reasons, including to go on a holiday, because they are sick or to take care of sick family members. This is called taking leave. Leave entitlements are different for full-time, part-time and casual employees.

Work out annual leave using our Leave Calculator.

Find out more about:

Record keeping

Employers must keep accurate and complete records for all employees and provide them with a pay slip within one working day of pay day.

Pay slips and keeping a record of hours worked can help employees work out the correct pay and entitlements.

Find out more: Pay slips and record-keeping.


Taking money out of an employee’s pay before it is paid to them is called a deduction.

There are limited situations when an employer can make a deduction.

Find out more: Deducting pay and overpayments.

Our resources

On arrival briefing

We give briefings to new seasonal workers when they arrive in Australia to start work. These briefings are an introduction to workplace rights and obligations in Australia. If you’re an Approved Employer under the programme, you can contact us at to arrange a briefing for your new employees.

Short videos

We have short videos in Pacific and other languages to help you understand your rights and obligations in Australian workplaces.

Watch our Language storyboards.

Pacific Labour Scheme fact sheet

The Pacific Labour Scheme fact sheet includes information for employees about workplace rights, how the Fair Work Ombudsman can help, and useful resources.

Download the English Pacific Labour Scheme fact sheet 

We also offer the fact sheet in the following languages:

How we can help

We’re here to help employers and employees understand their workplace rights and obligations. An employee can't get into trouble or have their visa cancelled for contacting us to ask for information about their pay or other entitlements.

For practical steps on how to fix any workplace issues which might happen – including how to ask for our help – visit Fixing a workplace problem.

If you need our help, you can:

Related information