Call us

COVID-19 vaccinations – when you contact us

What we can help with

We can give you general information about coronavirus and Australian workplace laws under the Fair Work Act. This includes guidance about COVID-19 vaccinations and the workplace.

Please read our COVID-19 vaccination information first before calling us. This is also the information that our staff use and will refer to when answering your question.

What we can't help with

There are some issues we can’t help with. This includes giving you a definite answer about:

  • whether you are an essential or authorised worker (this is set by your state or territory – visit your state or territory government website)
  • whether your direction or your employer’s direction to get vaccinated is lawful and reasonable
  • whether you have been unfairly dismissed or adversely affected because of your vaccination status (the Fair Work Commission external-icon.png can advise on the process for lodging an unfair dismissal or general protections application)
  • the efficacy of COVID-19 vaccinations or other health information about vaccines
  • hypothetical situations.

If we can’t answer your question, we will do what we can to give you general guidance and information that’s relevant to you. This could include a referral to another government body or letting you know the options available to you if you’re experiencing an issue at work.

When you contact us

We’re currently experiencing a high volume of enquiries due to COVID 19. Our staff work hard to resolve your enquiries. When you contact us, we expect that you are cooperative, courteous and respectful. Please note our staff may terminate a call that becomes unreasonable, abusive, or aggressive. Read more about what you can expect from us and what we expect from you in Our commitment to you.

Our number is 13 13 94. We're open 8am – 5.30pm Monday to Friday (except for public holidays).

While you're waiting, have a look at the information below – it could answer your question or help save time on your call.

Before you call

If you can't find the information you need on our website, you can try searching our Library. You can also make an online enquiry.

To get help calling us, use Hearing or Speech Impairment services or the Translating and Interpreting service.

Be prepared for your call by reading our Before you call page. Having all the information we need available will help us give you accurate advice. If you don't have this information when you call, we may need you to find it out and call us back.

Pay and entitlement questions

Use the same Pay and Conditions Tool that our advisers use and get your answer right away.

For pay rates, penalties and allowances, use our Pay Calculator or Pay Guides.

To find leave entitlements, try our Leave Calculator.

Use our Notice and Redundancy Calculator to calculate entitlements when employment ends.

Finding the right award

Use our 3-step Find my award tool to help find the right award that you're covered by.

Small business information

We want to help businesses get it right. Visit our Small Business Showcase for information and resources you can rely on, including:

  • hiring employees
  • managing employees
  • record-keeping and pay slips.

Employer Advisory Service

Our Employer Advisory Service (EAS) gives eligible small businesses free tailored written advice on pay and entitlement issues.

The EAS helps small business employers make informed decisions about employee entitlements and other workplace issues, including:

  • entitlements under the National Employment Standards
  • award provisions
  • other pay and employee entitlements.

The service assists employers in understanding and complying with pay and entitlement obligations under awards and the Fair Work Act.

If you’re a small business employer, learn more about the service, to see if you’re eligible and find out how to access it at Employer Advisory Service – overview.

Resolving workplace issues

Need help sorting out an issue in your workplace? Follow our step-by-step guide to resolving workplace issues.

Help with difficult conversations, starting a new job or managing performance

Complete our online courses in our Online learning centre to learn new skills and strategies to help you:

  • start a new job
  • have a difficult conversation in the workplace
  • manage performance
  • hire new employees.

Making an anonymous report

Help us keep workplaces fair - if you know someone who's not getting a fair go or have heard of a business or organisation that isn't playing by the rules, you can Report an issue anonymously.

Tailor your information

My account tailors specific information and recommends content that is relevant to you. Sign up for a My account to:

  • submit an online enquiry
  • save results from our Pay, Shift, Leave and Notice and Redundancy Calculators
  • get information tailored to your needs.

Already have an account with us? Log in now.

Where else to get help

Find out where to go for help with:

For information on separation certificates, visit the Services Australia external-icon.png website.

Hearing or speech impairment

Connect to the National Relay Service external-icon.png (internet relay) and ask for 13 13 94.

Call TTY (teletypewriter) on 1800 555 677 and ask for 13 13 94.

Call Speak and Listen (speech-to-speech relay) on 1800 555 727 and ask for 13 13 94.

Translation services and language assistance

Call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50.

You can also visit our Language help page for employment information in 30 languages.

Calling from outside Australia

You can call us from outside Australia using our international number on +61 2 6120 8989.

Help for small business

  • Contact the small business helpline for quick and easy access to our advisers and workplace relations information. Call the helpline on 13 13 94 and press option 3.
  • Find tools, resources and information you might need in our Small Business Showcase.
  • Our Employer Advisory Service (EAS) gives eligible small businesses free tailored written advice on pay and entitlement issues. Learn more about this service at Employer Advisory Service – overview.

Related information