Get ready before you call us. Read our information below for quick answers and to save time.
On this page:
In most cases, you'll find the answer to your question on our website or by using one of our free online tools.
Our phone Advisers also use this website and our online tools to answer your questions, so you can save time by checking online first.
Check our website for answers
See if your issue is covered:
- pay and wages – including award rates, penalty rates or allowances and stand downs
- leave – like annual leave, sick leave and parental leave
- starting employment – including types of employees, probation and hiring employees
- employment conditions – like awards and agreements, hours of work, breaks and overtime
- ending employment – including termination, redundancy and resignation
- some COVID-19 issues like vaccinations, testing and leave during coronavirus.
Find out what we deal with and what other government agencies deal with at Contact us.
Try a free online tool
Save time by using one of our self-help tools. If you’re after a specific answer, one of our free tools can give you the answer immediately. This includes for:
- pay rates – use our Pay and Conditions Tool (also used by our Advisers) to find pay rates, leave, notice and redundancy entitlements
- workplace problems – access our step-by-step practical guides to easily deal with your workplace issue, like an underpayment or problem at work
- awards – check your award coverage using our Find my award tool or get a copy of your award and check the rules in the award at List of awards
- technical workplace questions – search our Library if you're familiar with workplace relations and need more technical information.
Still need to call us?
Use the checklist on our Before you call page first – that way we’ll be able to help you quicker.
It's a good idea to stay on our website when you call us. This is so our Advisers can show you where to find the information you need.
Having as much information as possible can speed things up. If you don’t have this information when you call, we may need you to find it out and call us back.
Our Advisers can help you with advice and information on many workplace problems. But there are some issues we can’t help with, such as:
- workplace health and safety
- workers compensation.
Check what issues we deal with and what other government agencies deal with on our Contact us page.
Try working it out first using our guides
- My pay doesn't seem right
- I've been fired and I’m not sure what I’m entitled to
- I'm not sure which award covers my business
- I think I've underpaid my employee
These guides will give you the steps you need to help tackle your issue at work. For more practical advice, go to our Common workplace problems section now.
If you need more help
Problems can usually be fixed quickly when employees and employers talk to each other about it. Sometimes this isn't possible and extra help is needed.
If you need extra help, go to our Fixing a workplace problem section. We’ll explain the next steps if a situation can’t be resolved at the workplace.
You can also get in touch over the phone on the number above or send us an online enquiry.
Small business employers and representatives can call us about workplace issues.
Visit our online hub
Before calling, check out our Small Business Showcase first.
It’s a virtual hub for small business employers with tailored resources and workplace information most relevant to them. It’s also designed so you can quickly and easily get information and resources about workplace responsibilities. This includes:
- hiring employees and creating an employment contract
- paying wages
- handling employee requests (such as leave)
- keeping accurate records.
Go to the Small Business Showcase now.
Employer Advisory Service
Our Employer Advisory Service (EAS) gives eligible small businesses free tailored written advice on pay and entitlement issues.
The EAS helps small business employers make informed decisions about employee entitlements and other workplace issues, including:
- entitlements under the National Employment Standards
- award provisions
- other pay and employee entitlements.
The EAS helps employers understand and comply with pay and entitlement obligations under awards and the Fair Work Act.
Hearing or speech impairment
Call TTY (teletypewriter) on 1800 555 677 and ask for 13 13 94.
Call Speak and Listen (speech-to-speech relay) on 1800 555 727 and ask for 13 13 94.
Translation services and language assistance
Call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50.
You can also visit our Language help page for employment information in 30 languages.
Calling from outside Australia
You can call us from outside Australia using our international number on +61 2 6120 8989.