Our recruitment process
We’re excited you’re interested in applying for a role with us. Here’s some important information about the application process and tips for submitting your application.
On this page:
Visit Current vacancies to see our advertised roles.
You can also sign up for our job alerts. If a vacancy becomes available that meets your criteria, you’ll get an email from us.
We use an online recruitment system called e-recruit to process all job applications. If you have any questions or experience difficulty submitting your application, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
Already have an application in progress? Log in to continue.
Applying for a job with us involves several steps.
We use a range of assessment activities to determine the most suitable applicant for a position.
A typical application process includes:
1. Submitting your online application
Including your resume and written response addressing the requirements of the role.
2. Completing a work sample assessment
A timed task representing a typical duty of the role based on a hypothetical work scenario.
3. An interview
An opportunity to discuss your skills, experience and for you to learn more about the role.
4. Referee checks
Completed by contacting your nominated referees.
5. Making an offer
A phone call or an email advising you of the outcome of the application process.
On average, it takes approximately 8 weeks from the opening of applications to the job offer, with some exceptions such as large scale bulk recruitment (which can take longer). We’ll keep you updated throughout the recruitment process.
All applications need to be submitted before the job closing date and time. Extensions are only granted in exceptional circumstances for applications that have already been started. We recommend starting your application as early as possible.
If you are unsuccessful in the selection process, you will be contacted by email. Due to the number of applications received for each vacancy, we regrettably are not able to contact all applicants verbally. You may request feedback on your performance in the selection process, however there may be occasions where feedback cannot be provided due to large numbers of applicants.
To be eligible to apply for a job with us, you must:
- be an Australian citizen
- already hold, or be willing to obtain and maintain, the relevant Australian Government Security clearance required for the job (this is specified in the position description). We will support you through this process.
A range of other conditions may be required depending on the role you are applying for.
If you are new to the Australian Public Service, you’ll need to complete a 6 month probationary period. During this time, we help you understand what's required of you in your new role and assess your suitability.
To complete your application, you’ll need to know or have the following:
- current resume
- personal details
- employment history
- education details
- written response addressing the selection criteria
- referee contact information.
Diversity details can also be provided on a voluntary basis and are used for statistical and reporting purposes, and to accommodate specific needs during the recruitment process. Any information provided is not a consideration when assessing suitability for a job.
For more detail about the recruitment process, please see the Applicant Information pack.
When applying for a job with us, please follow the instructions in the job advertisement and the application information pack.
Tips for your application include:
- make sure your contact details are correct and check your junk mail throughout the process in case our emails have gone to your spam folder
- save your application after each step as our online application system (eRecruit) will log you out after 20 minutes of inactivity
- prepare your response initially in Microsoft Word so you can manage the word count and not lose any progress should eRecruit log you out
- tailor your resume to the skills and experience required in the position description
- when addressing the criteria of the role, be specific and provide specific examples where you have performed a particular task
- check your spelling, punctuation and grammar and be succinct in your application statement (our system won’t accept applications that exceed the word limit)
- if you don’t receive a confirmation email, go back into eRecruit and check that your application was submitted successfully (it requires you to hit the submit button twice!).
For tips on how to address selection criteria for APS roles, read Cracking the code: How to apply for jobs in the Australian Public Service.
We will consider reasonable adjustments to the assessment process to provide equal opportunity for applicants with disabilities. These could include:
- allowing applicants to complete interviews or work sample assessments using different formats or by providing extra time
- making additional support available, such as an Auslan interpreter, employment support officer, or carer
- providing short breaks as needed
- ensuring accessible hardware or software is provided.
Should you require reasonable adjustments during any stage of the process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.