What we offer you

We offer clear salary progression, generous conditions, working from home and a flexible and supportive culture.

Pay and conditions

Our employee entitlements, including salary scales are outlined in:

Working with us, you will have access to:

  • clear and transparent salary progression
  • superannuation contributions of 15.4%
  • flexible working arrangements
  • study assistance, which may include paid or unpaid leave or reimbursement of costs
  • generous leave entitlements.

Supportive culture

My work is appreciated, and I feel that the workplace cares about my wellbeing. The flexible work arrangements allow me to have a good work life balance.

- Senior Communications Adviser, based in Melbourne.

We take pride in our supportive and people-oriented culture. We take a collaborative approach to help you bring your best to work.

Some of the ways we support our staff include providing:

  • excellent managers to help you do your best work – our supervisors and managers were ranked in the top 12% of Australian Public Service agencies in the 2023 census
  • employee network groups including for LGBTQIA+ staff and allies, disability and carers’ interest group, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples
  • free and confidential counselling for you and your immediate family when you need help, including assistance and support for family and domestic violence situations.

Flexible work

We offer a range of flexible working conditions and provide generous benefits so you can achieve your professional and personal goals. In our 2023 census results, 88% of our staff said that they are satisfied their flexible working arrangements meets their needs.

Some of the flexible work options that might be available to you include:

  • working from home
  • flexible working hours between 7am-7pm
  • part-time work arrangements
  • job sharing
  • compressed work weeks
  • purchased leave.

Flexibility applies to every role at the FWO, and all employees can request a flexible work arrangement. Every employee is given the same consideration and access to flexible work – every employee, at any age, and at any stage in life.

Our genuine commitment to flexible work is reflected in our 2023 staff census results where 91% of our staff said they use flexible work options, significantly higher than the overall Australian Public Service rate of 74%.

Working from home

In most of our roles, you’ll be able to work from home for 60% of your time, with the remaining 40% in the office.

For example, if you work full-time, this means you can choose to work from home 3 days a week. This gives you flexibility plus the benefits of face-to-face collaboration and connection with colleagues and helps build a productive and balanced work environment.

Additional leave

We offer our staff a range of generous leave entitlements including:

  • paid time off from 12:30pm on the working day before Christmas to the first working day after New Year’s Day (in addition to your annual leave)
  • 16 weeks paid leave for the primary caregiver of a newborn or newly adopted child
  • 4 weeks paid supporting partner leave
  • 18 days paid personal/carers leave, for every 12 months of service
  • paid compassionate leave, with discretion to approve additional leave for cultural or religious obligations
  • 2 days cultural leave per calendar year, plus one day to take part in NAIDOC (National Aboriginal Islander Day of Observance Committee) week activities
  • 3 days per year of volunteering leave
  • community service leave
  • long service leave (3 months paid leave after 10 years of service)
  • option to purchase leave or take leave at half-pay
  • option to request to take a declared public holiday on a different day.

Related information