Step 4: Ask for our help
If you've followed the steps in our Guide to resolving workplace issues and you can't sort out the issue yourself, you can ask us for more help.
When deciding whether we'll get involved, we'll consider:
- the seriousness of the workplace issue
- the circumstances of the employer and employee
- practical issues involved in resolving the matter.
About our assistance
Where we assist, we may help you by:
- giving information and advice to help both the employee and employer understand their workplace rights and responsibilities
- offering a range of dispute resolution processes, including mediation, to help you come to an agreement to resolve the issues.
We don't represent employers or employees. Our aim is to help everyone resolve the issues and follow the law.
Our processes are voluntary
We can't force employers and employees to take any specific action, including pay money. Only a court can make binding orders.
Find out more about our resolution processes:
Taking your own legal action
If you feel that our resolution processes aren't right for you, you may consider resolving your workplace issue by Taking your own legal action in the small claims court.
How to ask for our help - making an online enquiry
To ask for our help, you'll need to make an online enquiry through My account and tell us about your workplace issue. If you're not already registered for My account we'll help you register as part of the process.
What you need to know
Making an online enquiry takes most people around 5-10 minutes.
We'll ask you questions about your situation. Make sure you know the:
- business name
- Australian Business Number (ABN) - we'll help you find the ABN if you don't know it
- business address and phone number
- name of the enterprise agreement that covers the employee, if any
- employee's occupation and main duties
- employee's start and end date (if no longer employed)
- employee's pay rate.
You don't need to send us any paperwork when you submit your enquiry. If we need evidence, eg. pay slips, time sheets and contracts, we'll ask you to send them to us later.
Submitting your online enquiry
When you're ready, submit your online enquiry in My account.
If you already have an account with us, go to the enquiries form now.
Don’t have an account with us yet? Register for My account now, then click on 'My enquiries' to submit your enquiry.
If you can't submit an online enquiry, find out How to ask for our help offline.
What happens next
After we receive your enquiry we'll review it and get back to you shortly, usually on the same or next business day.
Want to save this information for later?
If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.
Page reference No: 6940