Step 1: Find out what we can help with

Changes to our services due to coronavirus (COVID-19)

The coronavirus outbreak has affected our services. Find out what it means for you and what you can expect from us. Visit How coronavirus (COVID-19) has affected our services.

We can help resolve workplace law issues. This includes issues arising from:

Who we can help

We offer information, resources and dispute resolution assistance, for employees and employers covered by the Fair Work system.

Employees of sole traders or partnerships in WA are not covered by the Fair Work system and should contact the state Department of Commerce external-icon.png for assistance with workplace relations issues.

When we can help

Disputes are more likely to be resolved if action is taken as soon as possible. We're unlikely to get involved in workplace issues which happened more than 2 years ago.

There are time limits on when employees, employers and other parties (including us) can take legal action. Courts can hear evidence about:

  • general workplace issues that happened up to 6 years ago
  • workplace discrimination issues that happened after 1 July 2009.

Where else to find help

If we can't help, it's likely someone else can.

For help with issues relating to:

If you're an employee and you've lost your job, contact the Fair Work Commission (the Commission) first if you think you were sacked because of:

  • discrimination
  • a reason that is harsh, unjust or unreasonable
  • another protected right.

You have 21 days from the day you were sacked to lodge an application with the Commission. Check the information on the Commission website to find out if you can apply for:

Do you need to take the next step?

Are you:

  • covered by the Fair Work system; and
  • trying to sort out a workplace law issue that we can help with?

If yes, take the next step towards resolving your workplace issue. Go to Step 2: Check the law.

Want to save this information for later?

If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.


Page reference No: 6937