Resignation - how much notice?

Fair Work website testing graphic
Help us improve our website

Can you spare 5-10 minutes to help us improve our website?

We’re asking people to do a quick interactive activity to help to shape the future design of

Complete the activity now external-icon.png

When an employee resigns, they may have to give notice to their employer. The notice period:

  • starts the day after the employee gives notice that they want to end the employment
  • ends on the last day of employment.

An employee's award, employment contract, enterprise agreement or other registered agreement sets out how much notice (if any) they have to give when they resign.

If you're covered by a registered agreement, check the terms of your agreement for information.  To find a registered agreement, go to the Fair Work Commission website external-icon.png.

Use our Notice and Redundancy Calculator to find information about minimum notice requirements or select your award from the list below.

Tell us more

* Please make a selection to find information tailored to you.

Show information tailored for me

You do not have javascript enabled. Please select your preferred industry from the links below, to view your tailored content for this section.

An employment contract can't provide for less than the legal minimum set out in awards and agreements. Visit Employment contracts to find out where to get advice about any other terms and conditions in the contract.

Ending the notice period early

When an employee has resigned and given their minimum notice, their employer can:

  • let the employee work out the notice period, or
  • tell the employee to leave early and pay them in lieu of notice instead.

If the employer decides to tell the employee to leave early and pay them in lieu of notice, they need to pay the full notice period that applies for dismissing an employee. Any time the employee has already worked during the resignation notice period doesn’t count.

The amount paid to the employee must equal the full amount the employee would have been paid if they worked the full notice period. This includes:

  • incentive-based payments and bonuses
  • loadings
  • monetary allowances
  • overtime
  • penalty rates
  • any other separately identifiable amounts.

Example: Ending the notice period early

Joe has worked for his employer for 4 years when he decides to resign. According to his award, he needs to give his employer, Steve, 3 weeks' notice, which he does. Joe has only worked 1 week of his notice period when Steve decides that he doesn't need Joe there for the rest of the time. Steve tells Joe to leave early. Steve now has to pay Joe 3 weeks' pay in lieu of notice for ending Joe's employment. He also needs to pay Joe for the week of notice that Joe worked after originally resigning.

An employer who has told an employee to leave early can also decide to have the employee work out part of the dismissal notice period and provide payment in lieu of notice for the rest of it.

See Dismissal - how much notice? for information about how much notice an employee needs to give.

Giving more notice than required

An employee can give more notice than required in the award, registered agreement or contract. An employer doesn't have to accept this and can choose to only let the employee work for the minimum notice period. When the employee resigns, the employer should tell the employee if they accept the full notice period or if they only want them to work the minimum notice period under their award, registered agreement or contract.

Taking leave during a notice period

An employee can take annual leave during a notice period if the employer agrees to the leave.

An employee can take sick leave during a notice period if they give:

  • notice of the leave as soon as possible
  • evidence if the employer asks for it (eg. medical certificate).

An employer can't force an employee to take leave as part of the notice period.

No paid sick leave left

An employee who has used up all their sick leave can take unpaid sick leave. They have to give the employer notice and evidence.

Source reference: Fair Work Act 2009 s.22 and 117external-icon.png

Think a mistake might have been made?

For employees:

If you’ve lost your job, contact the Fair Work Commission (the Commission) first if you think you were sacked because of:

  • discrimination
  • a reason that is harsh, unjust or unreasonable
  • another protected right.

You have 21 days starting from the day after you were dismissed to lodge an application with the Fair Work Commission. Check the information at the Commission website to find out if you can apply for:

If you think you haven’t been paid everything you’re owed:

  • read about Notice and final pay to find out what you should get
  • see our Help resolving workplace issues section for practical advice on:
    • talking to your employer about fixing your notice and final pay if it’s wrong
    • getting help from us if you can’t resolve it.

For employers:

Want to save this information for later?

If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.

You might also be interested in:


Page reference No: 1996