Penalty rates & allowances
On this page:
Employees often get a higher pay rate when working:
- public holidays
- late nights shifts or
- early morning shifts.
Allowances are extra payments made to employees who:
- do certain tasks or have a particular skill
- use their own tools at work
- work in unpleasant or dangerous conditions.
Common allowances include:
- uniforms and special clothing
- tools and equipment
- travel and fares
- car and phone
- leading hand / supervisor
- industry of employment (for example building and construction).
Find information about penalty rates and allowances in your award by selecting from the list below.
Based on what you've told us, it looks like you're covered by the Health Professionals and Support Services Award [MA000027].
To find all available penalty rates and allowances in this award, use our Pay Calculator.
To find out more about who this award applies to, go to the Health Services Award summary.
- Building, construction and on-site trades
- Contract cleaning services
- Don't know
- Hair and beauty
- Health support services
- Real estate
- Road Transport
- Social, community, disability and home care services
- Storage services and wholesale
Workplace arrangements affecting penalty rates and allowances
There are some workplace arrangements that affect how penalty rates and allowances are paid. These include:
The overall amount an employee is paid under one of these arrangements must be at least the same as the amount they would be paid under their award.
The wages in IFAs, salary payments, employment contracts and guarantees of annual earnings have to offset other penalties and loadings in awards.
Tools and resources
Help for small business
Find tools, resources and information you might need in our Small business showcase.
Think a mistake might have been made?
Mistakes can happen. The best way to fix them usually starts with talking.
Check out our Fixing a workplace problem section for practical advice on:
- figuring out if a mistake has been made
- talking to your employer or employee about fixing it
- getting help from us if you can't resolve it.
Want to save this information for later?
If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.
Page reference No: 1677