Other help available

Crane and cement truck

If you work in building and construction, there are other government agencies and industry organisations who can help.

Industry organisations

Construction Forestry Maritime Employees Union (CFMEU)

The Construction Forestry Maritime Employees Union (CFMEU) is the main union representing workers in the building and construction industry.

The CFMEU can help by:

  • providing education resources
  • representing members in the workplace and bargaining
  • investigating suspected breaches of workplace laws.

You can visit the CFMEU website to find information and workplace resources. There's also contact details for individual state branches.

Please note that limited assistance may be provided to non-members.

Master Builders Association (MBA)

The Master Builders Association (MBA) is the peak building and construction organisation representing employers and self-employed builders.

The MBA provides services to members in residential, commercial and civil construction. Each state and territory also has a local branch helping local members.

For more information on the advice and assistance they can offer, you can visit the Master Builders Association website.

Portable long service leave

Workers in the construction industry can qualify for long service leave based on service in the industry, rather than with just one employer.

For information and help with long service leave issues, contact the relevant state or territory body:

Banner image

Worker entitlement funds

Employers in the building and construction industry can make contributions to a third-party worker entitlement scheme. This scheme will then make payments to an employee if they are made redundant.

Employees who aren’t sure if contributions are being made on their behalf should speak with their employer directly.

Some worker entitlements funds include:

Workplace health and safety (WHS)

Each state and territory has a WHS body. Their role is to regulate and investigate breaches of WHS laws. This includes handling bullying and harassment claims.

Contact your relevant state or territory body below:

Safe Work Australia is the national WHS agency. Go to the Safe Work Australia website for free tools and resources on WHS issues.

Workers compensation

Workers compensation is governed by individual states and territories. Each state and territory has their own regulator that administers and gives advice on workers compensation.

Contact the workers compensation regulator in your state or territory:

For federal workers compensation claims, contact Comcare. They are the national workers compensation insurer, claims managers and scheme administrator.

Banner image

Security of payment

The Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act covers businesses that perform construction work or provide related goods and services. The Act is designed to ensure businesses receive timely and fair payment.

For help with these issues, contact your state or territory agency:

Health and wellbeing support

Mates in Construction

Mates in Construction is a free service that provides mental health training and support to people in the construction industry. Find out more at Mates in Construction.

Mental health support services

It can be difficult dealing with bullying, sexual harassment and discrimination. Talk to a trusted friend, family member or colleague, and get help from counselling services if you need it.


24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention

Phone: 13 11 14

Website: www.lifeline.org.au


Mental health support

Phone: 1300 224 636

Website: www.beyondblue.org.au

Find a list of other services on our Health and wellbeing support page.

Have a workplace problem?

Problems can happen in any workplace. If you have a workplace problem, we have tools and information to help you resolve it.

Check out our Fixing a workplace problem section for practical information about:

  • working out if there is a problem
  • speaking with your employer or employee about fixing the problem
  • getting help from us if you can't fix the problem.

Tools and resources

Related information

Crane and cement truck