Road Transport (Long Distance Operations) Award [MA000039]
Who the Road Transport (Long Distance) Award covers
The Road Transport (Long Distance) Award covers employers in the road transport industry, their employees engaged in long distance operations and employees who fit within the classifications of the award.
Employees are engaged in long distance operations if they:
- move livestock or materials (in a raw or manufactured state) in a vehicle from one location to another, and
- the distance travelled is more than 500 kilometres (return journey) or an interstate journey.
Examples of employees covered by the Road Transport (Long Distance) Award include:
- drivers of up to 4 axle rigid vehicles driving long distance
- drivers of articulated vehicles driving long distance
- drivers of rigid vehicle and heavy trailer combinations driving long distance
- drivers of low loaders driving long distance
- drivers of road trains driving long distance.
Drivers are also covered by the Road Transport (Long Distance) Award for the time they are performing long distance work if they:
- normally work as a local driver under the Road Transport Award, and
- sometimes do long distance work.
The Road Transport (Long Distance) Award also covers labour hire businesses and their employees who are placed with an organisation in the private road transport industry engaged in long distance operations.
Check the award for full information on who is covered and the classification descriptions.
Who the Road Transport (Long Distance) Award doesn't cover
The following are examples of employees who are not covered by the Road Transport (Long-Distance) Award:
- depot hands
- distribution employees
- an employee who transports cars by driving the car they are actually transporting
- an employee who works as a loader/unloader
- clerical and administrative employees.
Drivers who normally do work covered by the Road Transport (Long Distance) Award but sometimes do shorter distance work will be covered by the Road Transport Award while they do short distance work.
Check the award for full information on coverage and classifications.
Not the right award?
If your industry or work isn’t covered above, you can also check:
Find your pay and entitlements
- Calculate pay
- Calculate leave
- Calculate notice and redundancy
- Download the Road Transport (Long Distance Operations) Award [MA000039] Pay Guide (DOCX) | (PDF)for a summary of pay rates, all allowances and common penalties in this award.
Pay and entitlements less than the award?
Employees must be paid at least award pay rates and entitlements.
If your pay rates are less than the award, go to Help resolving workplace issues to follow our step by step guide on how you can fix it.
Need help finding the answers to other questions about the workplace? Get help.
Looking for another award?
If you’re looking for award coverage for multiple job roles, start our Find my Award tool again.