Casual Employment Information Statement
Employers have to give every new casual employee a Casual Employment Information Statement (the CEIS) before, or as soon as possible after, they start their new job.
Employers aren't required to give casual employees the CEIS more than once in any 12 month period (for example, if an employer employs a casual employee temporarily at different stages in a 12 month period, they only need to give them the CEIS once).
The CEIS was first published on 29 March 2021 and was updated on 20 May 2021.
The updated version includes more information about the definition of a casual employee and minor changes to information about casual conversion for existing employees.
Download the Casual Employment Information Statement (PDF 296.4KB) (DOCX 50.1KB).
The CEIS has information about:
- the definition of a casual employee
- when an employer has to offer casual conversion
- when an employer doesn’t have to offer casual conversion
- when a casual employee can request casual conversion
- casual conversion entitlements of casual employees employed by small business employers
- the role of the Fair Work Commission to deal with disputes about casual conversion.
Providing the CEIS
Employers can give casual employees the CEIS:
- in person
- by mail
- by email
- by emailing a link to this page of our website
- by emailing a link to a copy of the CEIS available on the employer's intranet
- by fax
- by another method.
Employers need to give casual employees the version of the CEIS that is in place when they have to issue the CEIS. Employers should check back here regularly to make sure they give the correct version.
For more information about casual employment see:
Source reference: Fair Work Act 2009 s.125A-B
Think a mistake might have been made?
Mistakes can happen. The best way to fix them usually starts with talking.
Check out our Fixing a workplace problem section for practical advice on:
- figuring out if a mistake has been made
- talking to your employer or employee about fixing it
- getting help from us if you can't resolve it.
You might also be interested in
Want to save this information for later?
If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.
Page reference No: 10127