Workers compensation

Workers compensation is a form of insurance payment to employees if they are injured at work or become sick due to their work.

Workers compensation includes payments to employees to cover their:

  • wages while they're not fit for work
  • medical expenses and rehabilitation.

Employers in each state or territory have to take out workers compensation insurance to cover themselves and their employees.

Who to contact for workers compensation advice and help

Workers compensation is governed by individual states and territories, and isn't an area that we can help with. Each state and territory has their own regulator that administers and gives advice on workers compensation.

What to do next

Contact the workers compensation regulator in your state or territory:

For Australian Government employees and for the employees of organisations which self-insure under the scheme, contact Comcare (Commonwealth) external-icon.png.

For general information about workers compensation arrangements across Australia, visit the Safe Work Australia website external-icon.png.

Want to save this information for later?

If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.

You might also be interested in

Page reference No: 1968