When on parental leave
Employees on unpaid parental leave have various entitlements.
On this page:
Keeping in touch days
Visit the Keeping in touch days page to find out about:
- keeping in touch during parental leave
- how many days can be taken
- payment received on these days.
Other leave entitlements during parental leave
Check Other leave entitlements during parental leave to find out about:
- leave that can be accumulated during parental leave
- other leave that can be taken during parental leave.
Extending parental leave
Visit the Extending parental leave page to learn about:
- extending leave within the initial 12 months of parental leave
- extending leave beyond the initial 12 months
- whether a request to extend parental leave can be refused
- how an extension can affect a partner's parental leave entitlements.
Going back to work early
Visit the Going back to work early page to find out about:
- returning to work from parental leave earlier
- whether an employee can be asked to return to work earlier
- how going back to work early affects a partner's parental leave entitlements
- cancelling leave because of a still birth or infant death.
Ending employment during parental leave
Visit the Ending employment during parental leave page to learn about:
- requirements when an employee resigns while on parental leave
- whether an employer can dismiss an employee or make them redundant during parental leave
- parental leave entitlements when a business changes owners.