A union is a body that represents the interests of workers in a particular industry or occupation.
On this page:
All employees and independent contractors are free to choose to join or not join a union.
It's illegal for a person to pressure another person about their choice. For example:
- an employer can't pressure an employee
- a business can't pressure an independent contractor working with them.
It’s also illegal to take or threaten to take adverse action against a person for:
- being or not being a union member or
- taking part or not taking part in industrial activity.
An adverse action against a person includes:
- dismissing them
- changing their role to put them in a worse position
- changing their terms and conditions to put them in a worse position.
Source reference: Fair Work Act 2009 s.346(a), 348, 350 and 772