Agreements made before 1 Jan 2010

Before 1 January 2010, different types of registered agreements could be made.

Types of agreements made before 1 January 2010

The different types of registered agreements that could be made before 1 January 2010 included:

  • collective agreements
  • Australian workplace agreements (AWA)
  • individual transitional employment agreements (ITEA).

These types of registered agreements can’t be made anymore.

A collective agreement is negotiated between the employer and a group of employees.

AWAs and ITEAs are signed between an employer and an employee.

All registered agreements had to be lodged with the Australian Industrial Relations Commission or the Workplace Authority.

These types of registered agreements can still exist and will continue to apply until they are terminated or replaced. This can be done by applying to the Fair Work Commission.

Where to find these agreements

You can find collective agreements on the Fair Work Commission website external-icon.png.

AWAs and ITEAs are private documents and aren’t available online. If one of these registered agreements exists, the business should have a copy. For further assistance in obtaining a copy you can also contact us.

We can give information about an AWA or an ITEA to the parties of an agreement. This includes bargaining agents to the agreement at the time the agreement was lodged. 

To discuss these documents with us you will need to provide specific information such as:

  • the name and address of the employee
  • the name and address of the business and one of the following:
  • the agreement reference number
  • the job role specified in the agreement, or
  • the classification of the employee.

If you would like to access an agreement that you're not a party to, we will need to check your authority to do so first. Contact us for more information about what this involves.

Tools and resources

Related information

Help for small business