Based on what you've told us, it looks like you're covered by the Hair and Beauty Industry Award 2010 [MA000005].
An employee may have to do work that requires special clothing or work that damages their clothing or footwear.
Special clothing includes:
- uniforms (eg. shirts with the company logo on them)
- items worn for workplace health and safety reasons (eg. protective aprons and protective footwear).
If an employee has to wear special or protective clothing, the employer has to:
- provide the clothing, or
- reimburse the employee for the cost of the clothing.
The employer also has to cover the cost of replacing the special or protective clothing due to normal wear and tear.
For allowance amounts, go to Penalty rates and allowances.
Vehicle and travel entitlements
When an employee is asked to use their own vehicle for work purposes they are entitled a vehicle allowance. For allowance amounts, go to Penalty rates and allowances.
An employee has to be reimbursed the cost of their taxi fare from the workplace to their home when:
- they start and or finish at 10pm or before 7am on any day
- their normal means of transport isn’t available
- they aren’t able to arrange their own alternative transport and
- the employer doesn’t provide or arrange suitable transport at no cost to the employee.
Travel costs and travel time
When an employee has to work away from their normal branch or shop temporarily (up to 3 weeks) they have to be reimbursed for all extra transport costs.
An employee who on any day has to work away from their usual place of work have to be paid:
- ordinary time rates for all travel time that is more than the time they normally spend travelling between their home and usual place of work (unless it’s a Sunday or public holiday and then they must be paid time and a half)
- any fares reasonably incurred that are more than they would usually spend to get from their home to their normal workplace.
When an employer provides transport from a pick up point, employees will be paid ordinary time rates for time spent travelling to and from the pick up point.
To find out more about who this award applies to, go to the Hair and Beauty Award summary.
Source reference: Hair and Beauty Industry Award 2010 [MA000005] clause 21.3, 21.4, 21.5, 21.6, 21.7 and 21.8