Fair Work Information Statement
A Full Federal Court decision handed down on 21 August 2019 confirmed the method of accruing and taking paid personal/carer’s leave under the National Employment Standards. The information in the Fair Work Information Statement has been updated to reflect this decision. An appeal of this decision will be heard by the High Court. In the meantime, the decision made on 21 August 2019 is the current state of the law and applies to affected employers and employees. Find out more about this decision.
Employers have to give every new employee a copy of the Fair Work Information Statement (the FWIS) before, or as soon as possible after, they start their new job.
The FWIS provides new employees with information about their conditions of employment.
The FWIS has information on:
- the National Employment Standards
- right to request flexible working arrangements
- modern awards
- making agreements under the Fair Work Act 2009
- individual flexibility arrangements
- freedom of association and workplace rights (general protections)
- termination of employment
- right of entry
- the role of the Fair Work Ombudsman and the Fair Work Commission.
Providing the FWIS
The FWIS can be given to new employees:
- in person
- by mail
- by email
- by emailing a link to our website
- by fax.
You can download the Fair Work Information Statement (PDF 170.7KB) (DOCX 93.6KB).
Source reference: Fair Work Act 2009 s.125
Think a mistake might have been made?
Mistakes can happen. The best way to fix them usually starts with talking.
Check out our Help resolving workplace issues section for practical advice on:
- figuring out if a mistake has been made
- talking to your employer or employee about fixing it
- getting help from us if you can't resolve it.
Want to save this information for later?
If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.
You might also be interested in
Page reference No: 2144