Fair Work Information Statement
Employers have to give every new employee a copy of the Fair Work Information Statement (the FWIS) before, or as soon as possible after, they start their new job.
Employers also have to give every new casual employee a copy of the Casual Employment Information Statement (the CEIS) at the same time.
Changes to casual employment – industrial relations reforms
Under recent changes to the Fair Work Act, small business employers need to give their existing casual employees (employed before 27 March 2021) a copy of the Casual Employment Information Statement (CEIS) as soon as possible after 27 March 2021.
All other employers have to give their existing casual employees (employed before 27 March 2021) a copy of the CEIS as soon as possible after 27 September 2021.
Read our summary of the changes: Changes to casual employment – industrial relations reforms.
The FWIS provides new employees with information about their conditions of employment.
You can download the Fair Work Information Statement (PDF 187.8KB) (DOCX 86.1KB).
The FWIS has information on:
- the National Employment Standards
- right to request flexible working arrangements
- modern awards
- making agreements under the Fair Work Act 2009
- individual flexibility arrangements
- freedom of association and workplace rights (general protections)
- termination of employment
- right of entry
- the role of the Fair Work Ombudsman and the Fair Work Commission.
Providing the FWIS
The FWIS can be given to new employees:
- in person
- by mail
- by email
- by emailing a link to this page of our website
- by emailing a link to a copy of the FWIS available on the employer’s intranet
- by fax
- by another method.
Source reference: Fair Work Act 2009 s.125
Think a mistake might have been made?
Mistakes can happen. The best way to fix them usually starts with talking.
Check out our Fixing a workplace problem section for practical advice on:
- figuring out if a mistake has been made
- talking to your employer or employee about fixing it
- getting help from us if you can't resolve it.
Want to save this information for later?
If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.
You might also be interested in
Page reference No: 2144