Related sites

This page has links to other government bodies and support services websites.

Government organisations

Workplace relations

The Fair Work Commission (the Commission) is the independent national workplace relations tribunal. The Commission carries out a range of functions relating to awards and agreements, termination and industrial action and disputes. The Commission also has a role in regulating unions and employer associations. Learn more at:


The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides a number of tools and resources to help employers, owner drivers and hirers meet their tax obligations. For more information on state and territory payroll tax, visit – Payroll tax.

Workplace health and safety

Each state and territory has a local workplace health and safety body, which regulates and investigates breaches of laws about workplace health and safety, including bullying and harassment.

Safe Work Australia is the statutory agency leading the development of national policy to improve work health and safety and workers' compensation arrangements across Australia.

Comcare (Commonwealth) works with employees and employers to minimise the impact of harm in the workplace.

Workplace sexual harassment

The Australian Human Rights Commission and Respect@Work Council have a tailored website to help workplaces prevent and respond to sexual harassment and create a work culture that is safe, respectful and equal for everyone.

The website is a one-stop-shop for information relating to workplace sexual harassment. It includes resources, education and assessment tools, articles, and other materials. All material is free and easily accessible. Visit the Respect@Work website.

Human trafficking and slavery

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) is responsible for investigating human trafficking, slavery and slavery-like practices. This may include servitude, forced labour and forced marriage, which are complex crimes and a major violation of human rights.

The Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs) is responsible for implementing the Modern Slavery Act 2018. Home Affairs provides general advice and support to entities about compliance with reporting requirements under the Act.


We can help with discrimination issues in the workplace. To find out how we can help go to Protection from discrimination at work.

If we can't help, there are national and state or territory anti-discrimination bodies that may be able to assist.


The Australian Human Rights Commission considers and accepts complaints of workplace discrimination, harassment and bullying covered under federal law. This may include bullying or harassment complaints based on race, sex, age, sexual orientation, religion or disability.

The Commission also has a free National Information Service that provides information and referrals for individuals and employers on a range of discrimination issues.

State and territory

Each state and territory has a local anti-discrimination body, which can consider and investigate breaches of state or territory anti-discrimination laws in workplaces. To resolve complaints, these bodies often use conciliation between both parties in their dispute resolution process:

Security of payment

Security of payment refers to a building contractor’s right to receive payments that are due under their contract. Each state and territory has its own security of payment laws that provide a statutory mechanism for resolving payment disputes.

The agencies listed below can provide information on relevant laws, details or adjudicators for payment delays and disputes in each state or territory.

Family and domestic violence

1800RESPECT is the national domestic, family and sexual violence counselling, information and support service. If you or someone you know is experiencing, or at risk of experiencing, domestic, family or sexual violence, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or visit

Legal organisations

Legal aid and community legal centres

Legal aid in each state and territory may be able to provide legal advice or assistance.

National Association of Community Legal Centres are not-for-profit community organisations that provide legal and related services to the public, focusing on the disadvantaged and people with special needs.

Legislation and court judgements

Australasian Legal Information Institute provides access to legislation and court judgements as well as summaries on the law.

Commonwealth of Australia Law ComLaw provides online copies of Commonwealth legislation and related documents.


The Federal Court of Australia has jurisdiction to deal with most civil disputes, along with some criminal matters.

The High Court of Australia is the supreme court in Australia and decides cases of federal significance and hears appeals from Federal, State and Territory courts.

We are not affiliated with, and do not endorse, any commercial providers of advisory or workplace relations services. Read our full statement on Private firms and workplace advisory services for more information.