The campaign focused on industries where the FWO received a higher proportion of Requests for Assistance. From July 2013 to 31 May 2014 for example, the breakdown of total apprentice based Requests for Assistance received by the FWO was:
- Construction: 523 (37.41%);
- Hair and Beauty: 234 (16.74%);
- Hospitality: 158 (11.30%);
- Manufacturing: 144 (10.30%)
- Automotive: 132 (9.44%); and
- Electrical Services: 114 (8.15%)
This campaign did not audit Construction and Hospitality businesses because of recent audit activity in those industries. A summary of comparative findings in relation to apprentices in the Construction industry is provided in Appendix D.
Based on the above industries the campaign focused on employers with apprentices undertaking the following apprenticeships:
- Automotive (e.g. mechanics, panel beaters, auto electricians);
- Electrical Services (e.g. electricians, equipment technicians);
- Manufacturing (e.g. welders, boilermakers, fitter/turners, cabinet makers, shopfitters);
- Hair and Beauty (e.g. hairdressers); and
- Retail Service Industry (e.g. bakers, pastry cooks, retail butchers).