Uniforms, vehicle & travel entitlements

As part of their job, employees may be required to:

  • wear uniforms
  • drive vehicles and/or
  • travel to other locations.

In these situations, an employee may be entitled to a payment or repayment, depending on the industry and the job they do.

Employees required to buy work related items can’t be forced by their employer to use their wages to pay for these items, if the requirement is unreasonable.

If you're covered by an enterprise agreement or other registered agreement, payments for uniforms, vehicles and travel will be contained in your agreement. To find an agreement, go to the Fair Work Commission website external-icon.png .

Find more information about payments for uniforms, vehicles and travel in your award by selecting from the list below.

Real Estate Award

Based on what you've told us, it looks like you're covered by the Real Estate Industry Award [MA000106].

Uniform entitlements

If an employee has to wear a uniform (eg. shirts with the company logo on them), the employer has to:

  • provide the uniform or
  • pay for it.

The employer decides what constitutes a uniform and on what basis it is provided. It’s the employee's responsibility to wash and take care of the uniform.

The uniform remains the property of the employer and has to be returned when employment ends.

Vehicle and travel entitlements

When an employee is asked to use their own vehicle for work purposes they get a vehicle allowance. When an employee is asked to use their own motor scooter or motor cycle for work purposes they get a motor cycle allowance. For allowance amounts, go to Penalty rates and allowances.

Employees are reimbursed for the use of their vehicle, motor scooter or motor cycle on days that they have to do work duties.

An employer can ask an employee to record all the details of their travel as a condition of the allowance being paid including:

  • the date and odometer reading of the motor vehicle, motor scooter or motor cycle when they first use it
  • the date, start and final odometer reading for each day that the allowance is claimed
  • total business kilometres each day
  • the purpose of each usage
  • the employees signature to certify the usage.

The motor vehicle allowance isn't paid when the employee:

  • is away from work without the employer's approval
  • is on any period of paid or unpaid leave
  • can't drive because they have lost their licence or
  • can't drive because the motor vehicle has been in an accident or has a defect (except when an alternate motor vehicle is used).

When an employer provides a vehicle to an employee for work purposes, the employer has to pay all registration, running and maintenance costs.

The employee has to follow the employers’ directions, conditions and policies relating the use of the motor vehicle.

To find out more about who this award applies to, go to the Real Estate Award summary.

Source reference: Real Estate Industry Award [MA000106] clause 17.2-17.6 and 17.9 external-icon.png

You do not have javascript enabled. Please select your preferred industry from the links below, to view your tailored content for this section.

Source reference: Fair Work Act 2009 ss.325(1) external-icon.png

Think a mistake might have been made?

Mistakes can happen. The best way to fix them usually starts with talking.

Check out our Fixing a workplace problem section for practical advice on:

  • figuring out if a mistake has been made
  • talking to your employer or employee about fixing it
  • getting help from us if you can't resolve it.

Want to save this information for later?

If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.

Page reference No: 2264