Based on what you've told us, it looks like you're covered by the Real Estate Industry Award [MA000106].
If an employee has to wear a uniform (eg. shirts with the company logo on them), the employer has to:
- provide the uniform or
- pay for it.
The employer decides what constitutes a uniform and on what basis it is provided. It’s the employee's responsibility to wash and take care of the uniform.
The uniform remains the property of the employer and has to be returned when employment ends.
Vehicle and travel entitlements
When an employee is asked to use their own vehicle for work purposes they get a vehicle allowance. When an employee is asked to use their own motor scooter or motor cycle for work purposes they get a motor cycle allowance. For allowance amounts, go to Penalty rates and allowances.
Employees are reimbursed for the use of their vehicle, motor scooter or motor cycle on days that they have to do work duties.
An employer can ask an employee to record all the details of their travel as a condition of the allowance being paid including:
- the date and odometer reading of the motor vehicle, motor scooter or motor cycle when they first use it
- the date, start and final odometer reading for each day that the allowance is claimed
- total business kilometres each day
- the purpose of each usage
- the employees signature to certify the usage.
The motor vehicle allowance isn't paid when the employee:
- is away from work without the employer's approval
- is on any period of paid or unpaid leave
- can't drive because they have lost their licence or
- can't drive because the motor vehicle has been in an accident or has a defect (except when an alternate motor vehicle is used).
When an employer provides a vehicle to an employee for work purposes, the employer has to pay all registration, running and maintenance costs.
The employee has to follow the employers’ directions, conditions and policies relating the use of the motor vehicle.
To find out more about who this award applies to, go to the Real Estate Award summary.
Source reference: Real Estate Industry Award [MA000106] clause 17.2-17.6 and 17.9