Based on what you've told us, it looks like you're covered by the Storage Services and Wholesale Award [MA000084].
An employee may have to do work that requires special clothing or work that damages their clothing or footwear.
Special clothing includes:
- uniforms (eg. shirts with the company logo on them)
- items worn for workplace health and safety reasons (eg. protective aprons and protective footwear).
If an employee has to wear special or protective clothing or footwear, the employer has to:
- provide the clothing or footwear or
- reimburse the employee for the cost of the clothing or footwear.
The employer also has to reimburse an employee for washing costs, where the employee has to wash any special clothing.
An employee will be reimbursed for the cost of buying overalls when:
- they're employed in a paint manufacturer's store or
- the work they normally do involves lifting or carrying crates or similar containers that are likely to damage their clothing.
This isn’t paid when an employer provides the overalls.
For allowance amounts, go to Penalty rates and allowances.
Damage to glasses or dentures
An employee may have to do work that damages their clothing or personal equipment such as glasses or dentures.
If an employee has to do work that damages their dentures or prescription glasses, the employer has to reimburse them for an amount to cover the loss suffered by the employee. This amount has to be agreed upon, and an employer can ask for a evidence and a statutory declaration setting out the circumstances of the damage before reimbursing them
Employees won't be reimbursed where the damage is caused by their own negligence.
Check the Storage and Wholesale Award for information on the maximum reimbursement amount for damage to clothing and loss or damage of tools.
Vehicle and travel entitlements
Travel costs and travel time
When an employee is directed by their employer to work away from their normal workshop or depot but starts at the usual time they have to be paid:
- ordinary time rates for time reasonably spent travelling when it is more than the time taken to get from their home to their normal workplace (unless it’s a Sunday or public holiday then they have to be paid time and a half)
- any reasonable fares that are more than they would usually spend to get from their home to their normal workplace.
To find out more about who this award applies to, go to the Storage and Wholesale Award summary.
Source reference: Storage Services and Wholesale Award [MA000084] clause 17.3 (b), 17.3 (d) and 17.3 (e)