Uniforms, vehicle & travel entitlements

As part of their job, employees may be required to:

  • wear uniforms
  • drive vehicles and/or
  • travel to other locations.

In these situations, an employee may be entitled to a payment or repayment, depending on the industry and the job they do.

Employees required to buy work related items can’t be forced by their employer to use their wages to pay for these items, if the requirement is unreasonable.

If you're covered by an enterprise agreement or other registered agreement, payments for uniforms, vehicles and travel will be contained in your agreement. To find an agreement, go to the Fair Work Commission website external-icon.png .

Find more information about payments for uniforms, vehicles and travel in your award by selecting from the list below.

Road Transport Award

Based on what you've told us, it looks like you're covered by the Road Transport and Distribution Award [MA000038].

Uniform entitlements

An employee may have to do work that requires special clothing or work that damages their clothing or footwear.

Special clothing includes:

  • uniforms (eg. shirts with the company logo on them, caps or overalls)
  • items worn for workplace health and safety reasons (eg. protective aprons and protective footwear).

If an employee has to wear special clothing or protective clothing (needed because they work in a place where their clothes become very wet), the employer has to:

  • provide the clothing or
  • reimburse the employee for the cost of the clothing.

An employee will be reimbursed for the cost of buying overalls when:

  • they’re employed as a greaser and cleaner or
  • are normally required to service vehicles.

This isn't paid when an employer provides the overalls.

When protective clothing is provided, the clothing remains the property of the employer. If the clothing is damaged, lost or destroyed through the negligence of the employee, the employee will have to pay for or replace the protective clothing.

For allowance amounts, go to Penalty rates and allowances.

Travel costs and travel time

When an employee is travelling on duty and has to stay away from home overnight they get paid personal expenses reasonably incurred in travelling. For the minimum allowance amount, go to Penalty rates and allowances.

This payment isn't paid where the employer provides suitable accommodation and meals.

To find out more about who this award applies to, go to the Road Transport Award summary.

Source reference: Road Transport and Distribution Award [MA000038] clause 19.5(a) and 19.5(c) external-icon.png

You do not have javascript enabled. Please select your preferred industry from the links below, to view your tailored content for this section.

Source reference: Fair Work Act 2009 ss.325(1) external-icon.png

Think a mistake might have been made?

Mistakes can happen. The best way to fix them usually starts with talking.

Check out our Fixing a workplace problem section for practical advice on:

  • figuring out if a mistake has been made
  • talking to your employer or employee about fixing it
  • getting help from us if you can't resolve it.

Want to save this information for later?

If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.

Page reference No: 2264