Uniforms, vehicle & travel entitlements
As part of their job, employees may be required to:
- wear uniforms
- drive vehicles and/or
- travel to other locations.
In these situations, an employee may be entitled to a payment or repayment, depending on the industry and the job they do.
Employees required to buy work related items can’t be forced by their employer to use their wages to pay for these items, if the requirement is unreasonable.
If you're covered by an enterprise agreement or other registered agreement, payments for uniforms, vehicles and travel will be contained in your agreement. To find an agreement, go to the Fair Work Commission website
Find more information about payments for uniforms, vehicles and travel in your award by selecting from the list below.
Based on what you've told us, it looks like you're covered by the Security Services Industry Award [MA000016].
An employee may have to do work that requires special clothing Special clothing includes uniforms (eg. shirts with the company logo on them).
If an employee has to wear special clothing, the employer has to:
- provide the clothing or
- reimburse the employee for the cost of the clothing.
Where an employee has to use a torch, the employer has to provide the torch and batteries.
For allowance amounts, go to Penalty rates and allowances.
Vehicle and travel entitlements
When an employee is asked to use their own vehicle for work purposes they get a vehicle allowance. For allowance amounts, go to Penalty rates and allowances.
Travel costs and travel time
Employees will get paid ordinary rates for time spent travelling between the collection or return point when:
- they have to collect company equipment from somewhere that isn’t the work site before they start
- they have to return company equipment once they've finished from somewhere that isn't the work site
- the collection or return adds more than 15 minutes to the time it normally takes to get from the worksite to their home.
To find out more about who this award applies to, go to the Security Award summary.
Source reference: Security Services Industry Award [MA000016] clauses 15.9, 15.11 and 21.8
- Building, construction and on-site trades
- Contract cleaning services
- Don't know
- Hair and beauty
- Health support services
- Real estate
- Road Transport
- Social, community, disability and home care services
- Storage services and wholesale
Source reference: Fair Work Act 2009 ss.325(1)
Think a mistake might have been made?
Mistakes can happen. The best way to fix them usually starts with talking.
Check out our Fixing a workplace problem section for practical advice on:
- figuring out if a mistake has been made
- talking to your employer or employee about fixing it
- getting help from us if you can't resolve it.
Want to save this information for later?
If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.
Page reference No: 2264