Uniforms, vehicle & travel entitlements
As part of their job, employees may be required to:
- wear uniforms
- drive vehicles and/or
- travel to other locations.
In these situations, an employee may be entitled to a payment or repayment, depending on the industry and the job they do.
Employees required to buy work related items can’t be forced by their employer to use their wages to pay for these items, if the requirement is unreasonable.
If you're covered by an enterprise agreement or other registered agreement, payments for uniforms, vehicles and travel will be contained in your agreement. To find an agreement, go to the Fair Work Commission website
Find more information about payments for uniforms, vehicles and travel in your award by selecting from the list below.
Based on what you've told us, it looks like you're covered by the Electrical, Electronic and Communications Contracting Award [MA000025].
The Electrical Award doesn't have any rules about uniforms.
Vehicle and travel entitlements
Employees can be entitled to travel and vehicle payments and reimbursements including:
- payment for travelling time
- an allowance for using their own vehicle
- other travel allowance payments.
These payments are affected by:
- whether an employee starts work at a job or at the employer's workshop or depot
- how far an employee travels to a job or workshop or depot
- whether the employee is provided with transport by the employer.
Employees have to be told where their designated workshop or depot is and this information needs to be record in their wages or service record.
All employees are entitled to a travel time allowance paid every day they come to work and on their RDOs. This applies unless they start and finish work at the employer’s registered office or depot.
Check the Electrical Award for all payments and reimbursements that apply. For allowance amounts, go to Penalty rates and allowances.
To find out more about who this award applies to, go to the Electrical Award summary.
Source reference: Electrical, Electronic and Communications Contracting Award [MA000025] clause 18.6 and 18.7
- Building, construction and on-site trades
- Contract cleaning services
- Don't know
- Hair and beauty
- Health support services
- Real estate
- Road Transport
- Social, community, disability and home care services
- Storage services and wholesale
Source reference: Fair Work Act 2009 ss.325(1)
Think a mistake might have been made?
Mistakes can happen. The best way to fix them usually starts with talking.
Check out our Fixing a workplace problem section for practical advice on:
- figuring out if a mistake has been made
- talking to your employer or employee about fixing it
- getting help from us if you can't resolve it.
Want to save this information for later?
If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.
Page reference No: 2264