Uniforms, vehicle & travel entitlements

As part of their job, employees may be required to:

  • wear uniforms
  • drive vehicles and/or
  • travel to other locations.

In these situations, an employee may be entitled to a payment or repayment, depending on the industry and the job they do.

Employees required to buy work related items can’t be forced by their employer to use their wages to pay for these items, if the requirement is unreasonable.

If you're covered by an enterprise agreement or other registered agreement, payments for uniforms, vehicles and travel will be contained in your agreement. To find an agreement, go to the Fair Work Commission website external-icon.png .

Find more information about payments for uniforms, vehicles and travel in your award by selecting from the list below.

Fast Food Award

Based on what you've told us, it looks like you're covered by the Fast Food Industry Award [MA000003].

Uniform entitlements

An employee may have to do work that requires special clothing or work that damages their clothing or footwear.

Special clothing includes:

  • uniforms (eg. shirts with the company logo on them)
  • items worn for workplace health and safety reasons (eg. protective aprons and protective footwear).

Special clothing doesn't include general dress standards required by an employer. For example, an employer may require that clothing is clean, in good condition and appropriate, or must be certain colours an employee can be reasonably expected to already own such as black trousers and shoes, and this would not count as special clothing.

If an employee has to wear special or protective clothing, the employer has to:

  • provide the clothing or
  • reimburse the employee for the cost of the clothing.

The employer also has to:

  • cover the cost of replacing the special or protective clothing due to normal wear and tear
  • pay an employee an allowance each week or shift to cover washing costs, where the employee has to wash any special clothing.

For allowance amounts, go to Penalty rates and allowances.

Vehicle and travel entitlements

Vehicle and transport costs

When an employee (including a delivery driver)is asked to use their own vehicle for work purposes they get a vehicle allowance. For allowance amounts, go to Penalty rates and allowances.

An employee has to be reimbursed the cost of their taxi fare from the workplace to their home when:

  • they start and or finish after 10pm or before 7am on any day
  • a the employee’s regular means of transport isn’t available
  • the employee isn’t able to arrange their own alternative transport and
  • the employer doesn’t provide or arrange suitable transport at no cost to the employee.

Travel costs and travel time

When an employee has to work away from their normal branch or shop temporarily (up to 3 weeks) they have to be reimbursed for all extra transport costs.

An employee who on any day is required to work away from their usual place of work have to be paid:

  • ordinary time rates for all travel time above the time they normally spent travelling between their home and usual place of work (unless it’s a Sunday or public holiday and then they must be paid time and a half)
  • any fares reasonably incurred that are more than they would normally spend to get from home to their normal workplace.

When an employer provides transport from a pick up point, employees will be paid ordinary time rates for time spent travelling to and from the pick up point.

Fast Food Industry Award resources

We’ve made it easier for you to find information about your pay and entitlements under the Fast Food Industry Award. For more tailored information about your Award, visit our interactive tool.

We've got new and improved templates to help people in the Fast Food Industry. Try our interactive template tools

To find out more about who this award applies to, go to the Fast Food Award summary.

Source reference: Fast Food Industry Award [MA000003] clause 19.2, 19.3, 19.4, 19.6 and 19.7 external-icon.png

You do not have javascript enabled. Please select your preferred industry from the links below, to view your tailored content for this section.

Source reference: Fair Work Act 2009 ss.325(1) external-icon.png

Think a mistake might have been made?

Mistakes can happen. The best way to fix them usually starts with talking.

Check out our Fixing a workplace problem section for practical advice on:

  • figuring out if a mistake has been made
  • talking to your employer or employee about fixing it
  • getting help from us if you can't resolve it.

Want to save this information for later?

If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.

Page reference No: 2264