The Commission has announced a 1.75% increase to minimum wages
Published 19 June 2020 | Updated 25 January 2021
Annual Wage Review - 1 February 2021 changes
From the first full pay period on or after 1 February 2021, new minimum wages for the retail, hospitality, food services and other industries come into effect.
The Fair Work Commission will issue the updated pay rates on 21 January 2021 and we’ll update our Pay guides and Pay Calculator as soon as possible after this date.
Changes to casual and overtime award clauses
The Fair Work Commission has updated the casual and overtime clauses in most awards. The updates start from the first full pay period on or after 20 November 2020. See Updates to casual and overtime clauses in most awards to find out which awards are affected and what it means for you.
The Fair Work Commission announced a 1.75% increase to minimum wages. This applies to all award wages.
Increases to awards start on 3 different dates for different groups of awards. Increases to the final group of awards start from the first pay period on or after 1 February 2021 and includes awards in the retail and hospitality industries. See Group 3 for a complete list of awards affected.
Most employees are covered by an award. If you’re not sure which award applies, use Find my award.
For anyone not covered by an award or an agreement, the National Minimum Wage is $753.80 per week or $19.84 per hour. This applied from the first full pay period starting on or after 1 July 2020.
You can read the detailed decision
on the Fair Work Commission’s website.
What do you need to do?
On 1 February 2021, minimum wages in the Group 3 awards come into effect.
We’re in the process of updating our Pay Calculator and Pay guides with the new rates. Please keep checking back here for updates.
See When will my award increase? for details about when the new minimum wages in your award start or started.
Who does the increase apply to?
The increase only applies to employees that get their pay rates from:
- the National Minimum Wage
- an award, or
- a registered agreement (in some cases).
Remember, the 1.75% increase applies to the awards in 3 stages. See When will my award increase for information on when the awards will increase.
If you’re covered by a registered agreement, you should check it to see if this increase affects you.
The increase doesn’t affect employees who already get paid more than their new minimum wage.
Interaction with the JobKeeper payment
The new minimum wages also apply to any work an employee performs while they're in the JobKeeper scheme, if they get their pay rate from an award or the National Minimum Wage. See JobKeeper and the Annual Wage Review 2020 on our JobKeeper scheme page for more information.
When will my award increase?
The increase to awards is happening in 3 stages.
Group 1 Awards - from 1 July 2020
- Frontline Heath Care & Social Assistance Workers
- Teachers and Child Care
- Other Essential Services
Group 2 Awards - from 1 November 2020
- A range of other industries
Group 3 Awards - from 1 February 2021
- Accommodation and Food Services
- Arts and Recreation Services
See below for a complete list of awards in each group:
Back to top
The new minimum wages will start in the following awards from the first full pay period starting on or after 1 July 2020.
- Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services Award
- Aged Care Award
- Ambulance and Patient Transport Industry Award
- Banking, Finance and Insurance Award
- Cemetery Industry Award
- Children’s Services Award
- Cleaning Services Award
- Corrections and Detention (Private Sector) Award
- Educational Services (Schools) General Staff Award
- Educational Services (Teachers) Award
- Electrical Power Industry Award
- Fire Fighting Industry Award
- Funeral Industry Award
- Gas Industry Award
- Health Professionals and Support Services Award
- Medical Practitioners Award
- Nurses Award
- Pharmacy Industry Award
- Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award
- State Government Agencies Award
- Water Industry Award
Back to top
The new minimum wages will start in the following awards from the first full pay period starting on or after 1 November 2020.
- Aluminium Industry Award
- Animal Care and Veterinary Services Award
- Aquaculture Industry Award
- Architects Award
- Asphalt Industry Award
- Black Coal Mining Industry Award
- Book Industry Award
- Broadcasting, Recorded Entertainment and Cinemas Award
- Building and Construction General On-site Award
- Business Equipment Award
- Car Parking Award
- Cement, Lime and Quarrying Award
- Clerks—Private Sector Award
- Coal Export Terminals Award
- Concrete Products Award
- Contract Call Centres Award
- Cotton Ginning Award
- Dredging Industry Award
- Educational Services (Post-Secondary Education) Award
- Electrical, Electronic and Communications Contracting Award
- Food, Beverage and Tobacco Manufacturing Award
- Gardening and Landscaping Services Award
- Graphic Arts, Printing and Publishing Award
- Higher Education Industry-Academic Staff-Award
- Higher Education Industry-General Staff-Award
- Horticulture Award
- Hydrocarbons Field Geologists Award
- Hydrocarbons Industry (Upstream) Award
- Joinery and Building Trades Award
- Journalists Published Media Award
- Labour Market Assistance Industry Award
- Legal Services Award
- Local Government Industry Award
- Manufacturing and Associated Industries and Occupations Award
- Marine Towage Award
- Maritime Offshore Oil and Gas Award
- Market and Social Research Award
- Meat Industry Award
- Mining Industry Award
- Miscellaneous Award
- Mobile Crane Hiring Award
- Oil Refining and Manufacturing Award
- Passenger Vehicle Transportation Award
- Pastoral Award
- Pest Control Industry Award
- Pharmaceutical Industry Award
- Plumbing and Fire Sprinklers Award
- Port Authorities Award
- Ports, Harbours and Enclosed Water Vessels Award
- Poultry Processing Award
- Premixed Concrete Award
- Professional Diving Industry (Industrial) Award
- Professional Employees Award
- Rail Industry Award
- Real Estate Industry Award
- Road Transport (Long Distance Operations) Award
- Road Transport and Distribution Award
- Salt Industry Award
- Seafood Processing Award
- Seagoing Industry Award
- Security Services Award
- Silviculture Award
- Stevedoring Industry Award
- Storage Services and Wholesale Award
- Sugar Industry Award
- Supported Employment Services Award
- Surveying Award
- Telecommunications Services Award
- Textile, Clothing, Footwear and Associated Industries Award
- Timber Industry Award
- Transport (Cash in Transit) Award
- Waste Management Award
- Wool Storage, Sampling and Testing Award
Back to top
The new minimum wages will start in the following awards from the first full pay period starting on or after 1 February 2021.
- Air Pilots Award
- Aircraft Cabin Crew Award
- Airline Operations-Ground Staff Award
- Airport Employees Award
- Alpine Resorts Award
- Amusement, Events and Recreation Award
- Commercial Sales Award
- Dry Cleaning and Laundry Industry Award
- Fast Food Industry Award
- Fitness Industry Award
- General Retail Industry Award
- Hair and Beauty Industry Award
- Horse and Greyhound Training Award
- Hospitality Industry (General) Award
- Live Performance Award
- Mannequins and Models Award
- Marine Tourism and Charter Vessels Award
- Nursery Award
- Professional Diving Industry (Recreational) Award
- Racing Clubs Events Award
- Racing Industry Ground Maintenance Award
- Registered and Licensed Clubs Award
- Restaurant Industry Award
- Sporting Organisations Award
- Travelling Shows Award
- Vehicle Repair, Services and Retail Award
- Wine Industry Award
Back to top
Want to save this information for later?
If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.
Page reference No: 9513