$58,000 back-pay for Gold Coast workers
25 October 2012
A number of workers on Queensland’s Gold Coast have been back-paid a total of $58,400 following recent intervention by the Fair Work Ombudsman.
The largest recovery was $12,700 for a young Coomera tradesman who was misclassified as a contractor and underpaid the minimum hourly rate, penalty rates and annual leave entitlements between 2010 and 2011.
After a Fair Work inspector contacted the business and explained its obligations, the employee was reimbursed all money owed without the need for further action against the employer.
Other recent recoveries include:
- $12,600 for a young hospitality worker at Southport underpaid the minimum hourly wage, penalty rates, annual leave entitlements, personal leave and payment in lieu of notice,
- $9000 for a Burleigh Heads salesperson not paid annual leave entitlements, annual leave loading and payment in lieu of notice on termination of employment,
- $8300 for a telemarketer at Surfers Paradise underpaid annual leave entitlements between 2008 and 2011,
- $8100 for a Nerang worker underpaid wages, penalty rates and allowances between 2008 and 2012,
- $5400 for a hospitality industry worker at Biggera Waters not paid annual leave entitlements upon termination of employment, and
- $2300 for a retail worker at Mermaid Beach underpaid wages and penalty rates between 2010 and 2011.
Fair Work Ombudsman Nicholas Wilson says when Fair Work inspectors identify a problem and contact a business, most employers check their records, realise a problem has occurred, and fix it immediately.
“When we find mistakes, we’re here to assist and give practical advice to employers on how to voluntarily resolve issues,” Mr Wilson says.
“The businesses involved have now corrected the errors that led to the underpayments and put processes in place to ensure they will not happen again.”
Employers and employees seeking information and advice should visit www.fairwork.gov.au or call the Infoline on 13 13 94 from 8am-6pm weekdays.
The website has a number of tools and resources, including PayCheck Plus and an Award Finder, to assist business-owners to calculate the correct pay for their employees.
Penny Rowe, Media & Stakeholder Relations
0457 924 146
Want to save this information for later?
If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.
Page reference No: 3755