$128,000 back-pay for Brisbane workers
19 November 2012
Workers in Brisbane’s CBD and surrounding suburbs have been back-paid a total of $128,000 following recent intervention by the Fair Work Ombudsman.
Recent recoveries for employees include:
- $15,400 for a manager at a CBD retail outlet underpaid wages, annual leave and long service leave entitlements on termination,
- $15,000 for an executive assistant in the CBD underpaid redundancy entitlements upon termination of employment,
- $14,700 for a Calamvale manager underpaid redundancy entitlements,
- $13,400 for a retail worker at Eagle Farm underpaid redundancy entitlements,
- $8800 for a tradesperson at Alexandra Hills not paid overtime and penalty rates,
- $8000 for a worker based at the Port of Brisbane underpaid wages between 2007 and 2010,
- $7600 for a manager at Toowong underpaid a vehicle allowance,
- $7300 for a Lowood retail worker underpaid wages between 2009 and 2012,
- $7300 for nine international students working at a hospitality business at Inala who were underpaid wages,
- $7100 for a retail worker at Lowood underpaid wages between 2008 and 2012,
- $6800 for an apprentice at Greenslopes underpaid wages,
- $6400 for a Tingalpa manager not paid accrued entitlements upon termination,
- $5400 for a Woolloongabba manager not paid annual leave entitlements and travel expenses upon termination, and
- $5400 for three apprentices at Coopers Plains underpaid wages.
Fair Work Ombudsman Nicholas Wilson says that when Fair Work inspectors identify a problem and contact a business, most employers check their records, realise a problem has occurred, and fix it immediately.
Workers or employers seeking support should get in touch with the Fair Work Ombudsman via the website www.fairwork.gov.au or call the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94.
Workers and employers can sign up to receive the Fair Work Ombudsman’s eNewsletter at www.fairwork.gov.au/enewsletter.
Follow the Fair Work Ombudsman on Twitter @fairwork_gov_au
or find us on Facebook .
Penny Rowe, Media & Stakeholder Relations
0457 924 146
Want to save this information for later?
If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.
Page reference No: 3635