$83,000 back-pay for Gold Coast workers
22 November 2010
The Fair Work Ombudsman has recently recovered $83,000 for a number of underpaid workers in the greater Gold Coast region.
The largest amount was $26,300 owed to a Varsity Lakes sales consultant who was not paid for all hours worked, accrued annual leave and who did not receive pay in lieu of notice.
After Fair Work inspectors contacted the employer, the worker was promptly reimbursed all money owed without the need for further action against the company.
In a separate case, a Gold Coast electrician has been back-paid more than $12,500 after lodging a complaint that he was made redundant without receiving his full entitlements.
The recoveries are among a number of cases finalised recently following a combination of routine audits and investigations into complaints from workers.
- $10,600 for a Gaven truck driver underpaid annual leave entitlements on termination of employment,
- $8300 for a casual Surfers’ Paradise food and beverage attendant underpaid the minimum hourly rate,
- $7200 for a Burleigh labourer underpaid redundancy entitlements,
- $7200 for a Beechmont manager not paid for two weeks’ work or payment in lieu of notice,
- $6000 for a Gold Coast fast-food cook underpaid penalty rates, and
- $5600 for an Eagle Heights chef underpaid annual leave entitlements.
Fair Work Ombudsman Executive Director Michael Campbell says the Agency places a strong focus on educating and assisting employers to understand and comply with workplace laws.
“We have a flexible, fair approach and our preference is always to work with employers to help them voluntarily rectify any non-compliance issues we identify,” he said.
The Fair Work Ombudsman can assist employers and workers to understand their rights and obligations under new National Employment Standards (NES) and Modern Awards.
As well as Online resources at www.fairwork.gov.au the Fair Work Ombudsman has more than 200 highly-skilled advisers available on its Infoline on 13 13 94 8am-6pm weekdays.
Richard Honey, Adviser, Media & Stakeholder Relations,
(03) 9954 2716, 0457 924 146
Want to save this information for later?
If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.
Page reference No: 3894