When an employee gets paid can depend on the industry they are in. Employees must be paid at least monthly.
An award, enterprise agreement or other registered agreement will set out when employees must be paid.
Find information about when to pay wages in your award by selecting from the list below.
How wages are paid
Wages can be paid by one, or a combination of, the following:
- cheque, money order or postal order, payable to the employee
- electronic funds transfer (ie. EFT or bank transfer).
Best practice tip
If paying wages by cash, the employer and employees should sign a record to confirm the amount of money that has been paid each pay period.
Source reference: Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) section 323
Think a mistake might have been made?
Mistakes can happen. The best way to fix them usually starts with talking.
Check out our Help resolving workplace issues section for practical advice on:
- figuring out if a mistake has been made
- talking to your employer or employee about fixing it
- getting help from us if you can't resolve it.
Want to save this information for later?
If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.
You might also be interested in
Page reference No: 1702