12 May 2011
Millicent hotel faces court over alleged underpayments of almost $50,000
The Fair Work Ombudsman has launched a prosecution against the operator of the Sportsman Hotel at Millicent, in South Australia.
Facing court is S H Millicent Pty Ltd, which allegedly underpaid five employees almost $50,000 and falsified time sheets.
Also facing court are hotel part-owners and former managers, John Patrick Bowler, of Adelaide, and Paul Henry Carroll, of Mount Gambier.
Documents lodged in the Federal Magistrates Court in Adelaide allege five casual staff were underpaid a total of $48,098 between March, 2006 and December, 2009.
The Fair Work Ombudsman claims the five employees were often not provided with a meal break and should have received extra payments for the shifts where the break was not provided.
Fair Work Ombudsman Executive Director Michael Campbell says the workers were allegedly underpaid amounts ranging from $3852 to $14,111.
Following the commencement of court proceedings, S H Millicent acted to rectify the alleged underpayments.
Mr Campbell says it is also alleged that staff were directed to falsely record in time sheets that they had been provided with meal breaks and had worked more hours than was actually the case.
Mr Bowler and Mr Carroll were allegedly involved in S H Millicent committing one underpayment breach of workplace laws and several record-keeping breaches.
The men face a maximum penalty of $6600 each for the underpayment breach and penalties ranging from $1100 to $3300 each for the record-keeping breaches.
The company faces a maximum penalty of $33,000 for the underpayment breach and penalties ranging from $5500 to $16,500 for the record-keeping breaches.
A directions hearing is listed for May 23.
Employers or employees seeking assistance should contact the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94 or visit www.fairwork.gov.au A free interpreter service is available on 13 14 50.
Cameron Jackson, Media Adviser, Media and Stakeholder Relations
0457 924 146
Back to top