The QLD State government have made a number of changes to their public holidays for 2011 and 2012. The changes affect Christmas, New Year and Queen’s Birthday public holidays.
The QLD State Parliament passed new laws that allow the Queen’s Birthday public holiday to be shifted to October from next year and the addition of a special holiday to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in June 2012.
The new laws also allow extra public holidays to be allocated when Christmas, Boxing or New Year’s days fall on a weekend. These changes have been made in time to ensure people working on the actual day are paid their proper entitlements.
The public holidays in Qld for 2011/2012 Christmas and New Year will now be:
- Christmas Day - Sunday, 25 December 2011
- Boxing Day - Monday, 26 December 2011
- Christmas Day, additional public holiday - Tuesday, 27 December 2011
- New Years Day - Sunday, 1 January 2012
- New Years Day, additional public holiday - Monday, 2 January 2012
There will also be a public holiday for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee on Monday, 11 June 2012; and a public holiday for the Queen’s Birthday on Monday, 1 October 2012.