Pay and entitlements for apprentices & trainees
Your trainees get the same minimum conditions as other employees, such as annual leave, personal leave and public holidays. All of the conditions in the Fast Food Award usually apply to your trainees in the same way as they apply to your other employees. Check the relevant clause to make sure it doesn’t apply otherwise.
Additional conditions for trainees are in Schedule D of the Fast Food Award.
You can use the Fast Food Trainee Wage Calculator to help you find minimum rates of pay for your trainees.
The trainee calculators provide rates of pay for the most common trainee scenarios. However, you shouldn’t use the calculators if:
- the business was previously covered by a Transitional Award, a Division 2B State award, or the Queensland Order - Apprentices' and Trainees' Wages and Conditions
- the trainee is doing a school-based traineeship
- the trainee is doing a certificate 4 qualification.
If you are not sure whether the calculator applies to you, please Contact us.
You can’t employ an apprentice under the Fast Food Award.
Note: An employee who is undertaking a qualification that is not recognised as a traineeship, or who hasn’t been properly signed up as a trainee will be entitled to the relevant adult or junior rate for the type of work they are performing.
Best Practice Tip
Encourage your trainee to keep a simple work diary to help them keep track of their shifts and pay. For each shift, they should record:
- the day and date
- starting and finishing times
- any leave taken
- meal breaks
- the name of their supervisor.
Back to top