The Fair Work Ombudsman manages and provides the information for this website - your gateway to information and advice about Australia's workplace rights and rules.
Whether you're an employee, employer or contractor with a question about workplace rights and responsibilities, you'll find the information you need here.
The Fair Work Ombudsman is a statutory office created by the Fair Work Act 2009. Our jurisdiction is set out in the Fair Work Act 2009 and we are independent of Government.
Our functions include:
- promoting harmonious, productive and cooperative workplace relations
- ensuring compliance with Australian workplace laws.
Our services are free to all workers and employers in Australia.
We don’t advocate or represent any specific person or interest.
- offer people a single point of contact for them to get accurate and timely information about Australia’s workplace relations system
- educate people working in Australia about fair work practices, rights and obligations
- investigate complaints or suspected contraventions of workplace laws, awards and agreements
- litigate to enforce workplace laws and deter people from doing wrong in the community
- build strong and effective relationships with industry, unions and other stakeholders.
We are focused on serving the needs of everyone covered by the Australian workplace system.
We work closely with the Fair Work Commission to ensure our services are integrated, timely, relevant and accessible to all Australians.
Back to top