Applications for our 2013 program have now closed. Please watch this page from mid 2013 for information on our 2014 graduate intake.
The Fair Work Ombudsman is the federal statutory office who works with Australians to promote fairness and justice in workplaces. This is achieved mainly through educating both employers and employees about their workplace rights and obligations and promoting compliance with relevant Commonwealth workplace laws.
We are looking for outstanding graduates from a range of disciplines to undertake meaningful and challenging work in pursuit of creating fair Australian workplaces. The ever evolving arena of workplace relations provides exciting and diverse opportunities to engage directly with employees and employers and ensures no working day is the same.
As part of our Graduate Program you will complete your Diploma in Government through the Australian Public Service Commission. This provides you with exposure to a variety of training sessions, completion of a major project with real impact on the agency and the opportunity to work with graduates from other APS agencies.
What we offer:
Our Graduate program will kick start your professional career:
- Providing you with the opportunity to undertake two five month placements across the agency
- Offering a fantastic salary starting of $58,242 plus 15.4% superannuation as an APS 3
- Progression to an APS 4 upon successful completion of the program with a starting salary of $66,144 plus 15.4% superannuation
- Opportunities in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne (we won’t make you move to Canberra!)
- Gaining professional development through ongoing training and support, including the completion of the Diploma of Government
- Providing you with a mentor from the 2012 Graduate Program to guide you through your first year
Other benefits include:
- Access to flex time
- A strong focus on employee work/life balance
- Four weeks annual leave plus paid leave over the Christmas and new year period
- Access to generous assistance programs such as Healthy Lifestyle and Study Assistance
- Commitment to the creation of a diverse and inclusive workforce
Further information can be found in the FWO Enterprise Agreement 2011-2014.
What we look for in graduates
Our Graduate program is highly competitive; we are seeking a small number of motivated, engaged and enthusiastic graduates for 2013. To stand out from the crowd you will:
- Complete tasks under limited direction (no spoon feeding!)
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exhibit strong personal drive and the ability to use your initiative
- Build successful relationships and work as part of a team
- Have a keen interest in workplace relations in Australia and a willingness to contribute to your community.
Applications are open to Australian Citizens who have not previously completed a Graduate program with any other APS agency and have graduated from university within the last two years. Our preferred disciplines are Industrial Relations or Human Resources, Business, Law and Communications.