The Fair Work Ombudsman is an independent statutory office. Our jurisdiction is set out in the Fair Work Act and our services are free to all workers and employers in Australia.
Our main role is to:
- promote harmonious, productive and cooperative workplace relations
- ensure compliance with Australian workplace laws
- monitor certain 457 subclass visa arrangements.
Our free services include:
- a single point of contact for reliable and timely information about Australia's workplace relations system
- educating people working in Australia about fair work practices, rights and obligations
- assessing complaints or suspected breaches of workplace laws, awards and registered agreements
- litigating in some circumstances to enforce workplace laws and deter people from doing wrong in the community
- building strong and effective relationships with industry, unions and other stakeholders.
We work closely with the Fair Work Commission to ensure our services are integrated, timely, relevant and accessible to all Australians.
Source reference: Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) section 682
Want to save this information for later?
If you might need to read this information again, save it for later so you can access it quickly and easily.
You might also be interested in
Page reference No: 2342